The Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum (APPF) is a loosely-structured and non-exclusive forum which seeks to provide opportunities for national parliamentarians of the Asia-Pacific region to:
- identify and discuss matters of common concern and interest and highlight them in a global context;
- deepen their understanding of the policy concerns, interests and experiences of other countries in the region;
- examine the critical political, social, and cultural developments resulting from economic growth and integration;
- encourage and promote regional cooperation at all levels on matters of common concern; and
- further a sense of regional cohesion, understanding and cooperation.
National parliamentarians are able to participate in the APPF either as delegates of their parliaments or in their personal capacities.
The APPF has a particular focus on:
- cooperation for the further advancement of peace, freedom, democracy, and prosperity;
- open and non-exclusive cooperation for the expansion of free trade and investment, and sustainable development and sound environmental practices; and
- non-military cooperation, which gives due consideration to issues relating to regional peace and security.
It operates on the basis of these guiding principles:
- commitment to frank and constructive dialogue;
- equal respect for the views of all participants; and
- full recognition of the roles performed by governments, business communities, labour organisations, research institutes and others.
Although it has an independent agenda, to a great extent the APPF acts as the legislative branch of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
It also keeps close ties with regional institutions such as the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Pacific Islands Forum (PIF), Pacific Economic Cooperation Council (PECC), and Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC).
More information on the APPF can be found by reading the Rules of Procedure or by searching the Documents Library for the Tokyo Declaration (the founding charter for the APPF) and other milestone declarations.