REPORT OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
17 January 2010
The Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum Executive Committee Meeting was held in Singapore on Sunday 17 January 2010. Participants included representatives from 7 of the 8 Executive Committee member countries, namely: Australia (substituting Fiji), Canada, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia and New Zealand. The host country, Singapore, and the host country of the next APPF Annual Meeting, Mongolia, were also represented.
The meeting was chaired by Mr Abdullah Tarmugi, President of the 18th APPF and Speaker of the Singapore Parliament.
The Executive Committee resolved that:
1. As agreed by the Executive Committee under Rule 10 of the APPF Rules of Procedure, Australia will be the substitute Executive Committee Member for the 18th Annual Meeting of the APPF for Fiji;
2. As agreed among the Oceania sub-region member countries, Australia will be the Executive Committee Member till April 2011. Marshall Islands will replace New Zealand as the Executive Committee Member from May 2010 to April 2012;
3. The Programme of Activities for the 18th Annual Meeting of the APPF as set out in Annex 1 be adopted;
4. The Agenda of the 18th Annual Meeting of the APPF, as set out in Annex 2 be adopted;
5. The Draft Resolutions submitted by member delegations to the 18th Annual Meeting of the APPF, as set out in Annex 3 be adopted for consideration in the Annual Meeting. The Drafting Committee and Working Groups to be established and commence work on Tuesday 19 January 2010;
6. Mr Matthias Yao, Deputy Speaker of the Singapore Parliament and Mayor of South East District, Ms Indranee Rajah, Deputy Speaker of the Singapore Parliament, and Mr Inderjit Singh, Member of Singapore Parliament be ViceChairpersons of the Plenary Sessions;
7. Dr Teo Ho Pin, Member of Parliament and Mayor of North West District, be the Chairperson of the Drafting Committee. Mr Seah Kian Peng, Member of Parliament be the Vice-Chairperson of the Drafting Committee;
8. The time limit for registered speakers at the plenary sessions is 7 minutes for speeches and 5 minutes for participants in the open debate;
9. Mongolia will host the 19th Annual Meeting of the Asia Pacific Parliamentary Forum in 2011; and
10. Canada raised the issue of having a better linkage between the Plenary Sessions and the Resolutions drafted so that what is discussed in the Plenary Sessions is better reflected in the Resolutions. Canada proposes an Action Group to look into special recommendations for this. The presentations on the reforms are to be undertaken at the next Forum in Mongolia. Japan agreed to look into the mechanism for review and will duly consult the APPF Hon. Chairman, Mr Yasuhiro Nakasone.