1. At the invitation of the National Diet of Japan, the Twentieth Annual Meeting of the Asia Pacific Parliamentary Forum (APPF) was held in Tokyo, Japan on 8-12 January 2012. 326 delegates from 20 member countries of the APPF and 1 observer country attended the Annual Meeting. The full list of participants is attached in Appendix 1.
2. The APPF Executive Committee convened on 8 January 2012 to approve the Agenda and Program of Work for the Annual Meeting. The report of the Executive Committee meeting is attached in Appendix 2.
3. At the opening ceremony on 9 January 2012, Co-President of the 20th APPF Annual Meeting and Speaker of the House of Representatives of Japan, Mr. Takahiro Yokomichi, accorded a warm welcome to all the participants and declared the Annual Meeting open. In his opening address, Mr. Yokomichi expressed appreciation for the support extended to Japan following the Great East Japan Earthquake, and noted that over the last 20 years, the Asia-Pacific region has developed a strong framework for cooperation despite the various difficulties with which the region has been confronted. He suggested that the region's growing political and economic influence was bringing about a concomitant increase in the importance of the APPF. The other Co-President of the 20th APPF Annual Meeting and President of the House of Councillors of Japan, Mr. Kenji Hirata, stressed that discussion among parliamentarians would be critical in resolving the challenges emerging from globalization, and looked forward to the realization of the APPF reforms as a means of further enhancing parliamentary diplomacy.
4. Mr. Nyamaa Enkhbold, Vice-Chairman of the State Great Hural (Parliament) of Mongolia, host of the last APPF Annual Meeting, addressed the meeting. APPF Honorary President Mr. Yasuhiro Nakasone offered his congratulations on the opening of the commemorative occasion of the 20th APPF Annual Meeting. Recalling the basic principles underlying the establishment of the APPF, he noted that, 20 years on, with the world standing at a major watershed, international cooperation was essential, and that the region needed to pursue a mutual creative evolution among the various different cultures. He also expressed his conviction that the APPF will become a cornerstone in the future construction of a multilateral "political dome" in the region. A message of congratulations was read out for Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Yoshihiko Noda.
5. The Leaders of the delegations paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Yoshihiko Noda, on 11 January 2012.
6. At the opening plenary session, the report of the Executive Committee was adopted and approved by the Annual Meeting. On the agenda topic of regional cooperation in the Asia-Pacific, delegates discussed the report given by Japan on the Great East Japan Earthquake and steps toward recovery, cooperation in disaster prevention, cooperation in nuclear power safety, climate change, achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, and the promotion of cultural, educational, and personal exchange, proposing a number of resolutions pertaining to these issues.
7. At the plenary session on regional and international political and security matters, delegates discussed and proposed resolutions on strengthening peace and security in the region, the situation in the Korean Peninsula, combating terrorism, illegal drug trafficking and organized crime, and the situation in the Middle East.
8. At the plenary session on regional and international economic matters, delegates discussed the global economic situation (imbalances in the global economy, sustainable economic growth, and energy and food security), and promoting economic partnership and free trade. National delegations proposed several resolutions on these issues.
9. At the plenary session on future APPF activities, delegates discussed the report from Japan on APPF reform and the New Tokyo Declaration.
10. At the final plenary session, the 20th APPF Annual Meeting adopted 13 resolutions based on the topics mentioned in the preceding paragraphs. The full list of resolutions adopted is attached in Appendix 3.
11. At the same session, delegates adopted the New APPF Rules of Procedure and the New Tokyo Declaration. These documents are attached in Appendixes 4 and 5.
12. Delegates also accepted Russia's kind offer to host the 21st Annual Meeting of the APPF in Vladivostok in 2013.
13. At the conclusion, the Annual Meeting thanked the Working Groups and the Drafting Committee for their tireless efforts on the Joint Communique and related resolutions, as well as the APPF Rules of Procedure revisions and the New Tokyo Declaration. These efforts contributed to the successful outcome of the Annual Meeting.
14. The Annual Meeting expressed heartfelt gratitude and sincere appreciation to the 20th APPF Annual Meeting Co-Presidents, House of Representatives Speaker Mr. Takahiro Yokomichi and House of Councillors President Mr. Kenji Hirata, for hosting the 20th Annual Meeting; to House of Representatives Vice-Speaker, Mr. Seishiro Eto, and House of Councillors Vice-President, Mr. Hidehisa Otsuji, for managing the plenary sessions; to APPF Honorary President Mr. Yasuhiro Nakasone, Japanese delegation leader Mr. Taro Aso and other members of the Japanese delegation for their hospitality; and to the staff for their hard work and excellent arrangements.