1. At the invitation of the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation the 21st Annual Meeting of the Asia Pacific Parliamentary Forum (APPF) was held on 27-31 January 2013 in Vladivostok, Russia. 328 delegates from 23 APPF Мember States and one Observer State attended the Annual Meeting. Representatives of the Parliaments of Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, and of UN, PACE, PA OSCE, IPA CIS, IPA EurAsEC, PABSEC and SCO also attended the meeting as guests. The list of participants is attached in Appendix 1.
2. The APPF Executive Committee convened on 27 January 2013 to approve the Agenda and the Program of Work of the Annual Meeting. The report of the Executive Committee meeting is attached in Appendix 2.
3. On 28 January 2013 the President of APPF and Chairperson of the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, Her Excellency Ms. Valentina Matvienko, accorded a warm welcome to all the participants and declared the Annual Meeting open. In her opening address, Her Excellency Ms. Valentina Matvienko highlighted that the region is in need of a new system of intergovernmental relationship with a view to strengthen peace and security, intensify nations’ development, ease the negative impact of climate change, ensure food and energy security, and enhance regional cooperation.
4. The President of the Russian Federation, His Excellency Mr. Vladimir Putin sent a Welcoming Address to all the delegates on the occasion of the inauguration of the APPF 21st Annual Meeting. Welcome message was also sent by His Excellency Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations Organization.
5. Special message from His Excellency Mr. Yasuhiro Nakasone, Honorary President of the APPF was delivered. Honorable Mr. Masahiro Imamura addressed the delegates as leader of the delegation of Japan, the country of the preceding APPF Presidency.
6. At the opening plenary session the report of the Executive Committee was adopted and approved by the Annual Meeting. On the agenda topic of political and security matters delegates engaged in wide-ranging discussions on strengthening peace and stability in the Asia Pacific region and prospects of establishing regional collective security system. Their discussions also focused on combating terrorism, illicit drug
trafficking, human trafficking and organized crime. Delegates exchanged views on the challenges and the prospects for further development of the parliamentary diplomacy.
7. At the plenary session on economic and trade cooperation in Asia Pacific delegates welcomed the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation 2012 Report by the Delegation of the Russian Federation. They discussed the global economic situation, development of transport infrastructure, cooperation for innovative growth, promoting economic partnership and free trade, and food security. Special attention was paid to the parliamentary dimension of trade and economic cooperation and integration processes in the Asia Pacific region.
8. At the plenary session on regional cooperation in the Asia Pacific delegates discussed and put forward resolutions on dialogue of civilizations, promotion of cultural, educational and humanitarian contacts, harmonization of youth policy, migration processes, energy security, cooperation in disaster management and environmental protection.
9. In course of the 21st Annual Meeting of the APPF the delegates were invited to take part in the round table discussion of the prospects of further cooperation between the Asia Pacific and Europe, including in a parliamentary dimension. Young parliamentarians held their meeting on 30 January 2013 to discuss the matters of youth related politics and their harmonization in the Asia Pacific. Presentations of the international cooperation programs of the Russian Far East and Siberia and of the educational and scientific programs attracted the attention of the delegates. Those new features of the APPF meeting pattern were accepted as contributive and useful.
10. At the final plenary session the delegations reported on the progress of implementation of the New Rules of Procedure. Delegates discussed the future activities and the results of the reform of the APPF.
11. 21st Annual Meeting of the APPF adopted 14 resolutions based on the topics mentioned in the preceding paragraphs. The full list of resolutions adopted is attached in Appendix 3.
12. Delegates also accepted Mexico’s kind proposal to host the 22nd Annual Meeting of the APPF in Puerto Vallarta from 12 to 16 January 2014. They also acknowledged the proposal of Ecuador to host the 23rd Annual Meeting of the APPF in 2015.
13. At the conclusion of the Annual Meeting the Delegates thanked the Working Groups and the Drafting Committee for their efforts in developing the Joint Communiqué with related resolutions, which contributed to the successful outcome of the Meeting.
14. The Delegates expressed heartfelt gratitude and sincere appreciation to the Chairperson of the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, Her Excellency Ms. Valentina Matvienko for her presidency of the 21st Annual Meeting of the APPF and to the people of Russian Federation and citizens of Vladivostok in particular for their hospitality and to the Secretariat and the staff for their hard work and excellent arrangements.