26th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum
18-21 January 2018
Resolution on Promoting Gender Equality for Sustainable Development and Shared Prosperity in the Asia-Pacific Region
(Sponsored by Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Mongolia, New Zealand, Russia and Viet Nam)
The 26th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum (APPF):
Recalling the 24th and 25th APPF resolutions on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women and Girls;
Reaffirming the Convention on the Eliminations of All Forms of Discrimination against Woman (CEDAW), International Labour Organization (ILO) Convention concerning Discrimination in Respect of Employment and Occupation, ILO Equal Remuneration Convention and other relevant international instruments covering women’s rights;
Mindful of the fact that although women constitute almost half of the world’s population, they are continued to be marginalized in all sectors of development;
Referring to the result of the 2017 World Economic Forum Global Gender Gap Index which pointed out that the average global gender gap is now 32% a slight increase compared to average gap last year which stood by 31.7%;
Recognizing the significant role of information and technology that are being vastly developed in this millennial era can play to increase gender parity of 50:50 by 2030;
Acknowledging that greater economic participation by women spurs economic growth and that greater utilization of millennia’s technology for development of business opportunity can promote greater economic opportunities for women;
Aware that women are often disproportionately affected by climate change and natural disasters owing to gender inequalities and the dependence of many women on natural resources for their livelihoods;
Recognizing the importance of involving men in the promotion of women’s economic empowerment, the elimination of gender-based violence and the advancement of women’s political participation;
- Call upon the parliaments of the APPF Member States to continue focusing on legislative support of expansion of women's legal, economic and social opportunities, enhancement of the system of family, maternity
and childhood protection, and provision of high-quality medical and social aid.
- Update national laws that promote women's access to financial and capital market, economic and digital education that allow their inclusion in economic activities.
- Empower women to maximise their access to technology, especially for those who live in remote and rural areas in order to enhance their economic opportunities.
- Raise the awareness of the “internet of things” to enhance digital literacy of women and girls in Asia and the Pacific.
- Call on Asia Pacific countries who have not done so, to set up regulatory framework that can promote equal remuneration at work, women’s leadership, entrepreneurship, skills and competencies.
- Develop a national financial infrastructure and multinational regional financial institute for women employment, Micro Small Medium Enterprises and entrepreneurship.
- Endorse the 2017 APEC Women and the Economy Forum Statement on Enhancing Women’s Economic Inclusion and Empowerment in the Changing World.
- Welcome the new initiative of APEC Women and the Economy Sub-Fund which is scheduled to be operational in 2018.
- Urge APPF members to develop measures that reduce unpaid and domestic work done by women to achieve inclusive growth.
- Call on APPF Member States to better understand the gender differentiated effects of climate change and natural disasters.
- Encourage more women leaders to take an active role in promoting, defending and protecting women’s rights at all aspects.
- Encourage APPF Member States to consider how young people can be better engaged with Parliament and for girls to see politics and leadership as viable career choices.
- Urge APPF Member States to devote particular attention to abolishing harmful practices and legislation that discriminate against women and girls, or perpetuate and condone violence and discrimination against them including child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
- Encourage women parliamentarians from the parliaments of the APPF Member States to take part in the Eurasian Women's Forum to be held on September 20 – 21, 2018 in Saint Petersburg (Russia).