(Sponsored by Japan and the Republic of Korea)
We, the parliamentarians of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum (APPF), gathering in the historic city of Siem Reap, Kingdom of Cambodia, for the 27th Annual Meeting of APPF under the theme “Strengthening Parliamentary Partnership for Peace, Security and Sustainable Development”:
Reconfirming Resolution APPF26/RES.11 titled “Peace on the Korean Peninsula” adopted at the 26th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum in Hanoi, Vietnam in January 2018 and other resolutions regarding the Korean Peninsula discussed at the APPF over the years;
Recognising the important positive momentum in the current situation on the Korean Peninsula, including efforts taken by the Republic of Korea and its partners to ensure a nuclear weapons free Korean Peninsula and welcoming the Panmunjeom Declaration on April 27, 2018, the US-DPRK Joint Statement on June 12, 2018, and the Pyongyang Joint Declaration on September 19, 2018 for the complete denuclearization and establishment of permanent peace regime on the Korean Peninsula;
Emphasizing the importance of establishing a system of cooperation in the Asia Pacific region and on an international level to ensure peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula considering that it is core to achieving peace, stability, and prosperity of not only this region but the world;
Noting the Joint Statement of the Six-Party Talks of September 2005, the United Nations Security Council resolutions 1695, 1718, 1874, 2087, 2094, 2270, 2321, 2356, 2371, 2375, and 2397, as well as the resolution “Implementation of the NPT safeguards agreement between the IAEA and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea,” adopted in September 2016 during the 62nd IAEA General Conference; and
Encouraged that meaningful dialogue between two Koreas, and those between the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and the international community are a practical way to contribute to the peace of the Korean Peninsula and the Northeast Asian region.
1. Reconfirm the importance of a Korean Peninsula free of nuclear weapons;
2. Call upon all relevant stakeholders, especially the United States, China, Japan, Russia, as well as the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, to take efforts to ensure practical progress for the complete denuclearization in accordance with relevant United Nations Security Council Resolutions and permanent peace of the Korean Peninsula, including full and prompt implementation of the Panmunjeom Declaration, the US-DPRK Joint Statement and the Pyongyang Joint Declaration;
3. Reaffirm the importance of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s commitment for complete denuclearization and its pledge not to conduct any further nuclear or missile tests and to abandon all of its nuclear weapons, including enriched uranium, nuclear programs and ballistic missile programs in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner;
4. Respect the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s commitment to continue dialogue for peace on the Korean Peninsula, including inter-Korean summits, agreement on peaceful resolution of nuclear issues through continued dialogue, and support for a comprehensive approach and cooperation for the establishment of permanent peace regime on the Korean Peninsula;
5. Confirm full support of APPF member states in the efforts to establish a multilateral framework of discussion on a parliamentary level for peace and prosperity of Northeast Asia;
6. Call upon the international community to continue to work to achieve the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, including full implementation of the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council;
7. Encourage the United Nations Security Council to review the measures against Democratic People’s Republic of Korea in view of its compliance with the UNSC Resolutions;
8. Request the international community to fully support and continue to acknowledge and encourage proactive measures taken to peacefully resolve issues on the Korean Peninsula, including improving inter-Korea relations; and
9. Urge the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea to respond to all humanitarian concerns expressed by the international community in a swift and reliable manner.