1. The decade old APPF met the 11th time in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 13-15 January 2003 at the invitation of the Malaysian Parliament.
2. 101 delegates and 39 accompanying persons from 24 member countries as well as observer country, Brunei Darussalam attended the meeting. Annex 1 lists the participants.
3. H.E Tan Sri Dato’ Michael Chen Wing Sum, President of the Malaysian Senate chaired the Annual Meeting. In welcoming the participants he wished everyone a happy stay in Malaysia.
4. H.E Hon Yasuhiro Nakasone, President of APPF and former Prime Minister of Japan said that in the midst of the recent increase in uncertainty in the international situation, the 11th APPF Annual Meeting is crucial. It is held at a turning point in history and has great importance. He was sure that there will be lively discussions on important issues such as DPRK and Iraq.
5. H.E Rt. Hon. Dato Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, Prime Minister of Malaysia officially declared open the Annual Meeting. He lamented that despite fighting two world wars, mankind is still nowhere near the peace it aspires to achieve.
6. The meeting welcomed a special report from the Kingdom of Cambodia on theoutcome of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) meeting held in Brunei Darussalam in 2002. The report (Annex 2) reaffirmed ASEAN’s commitment and cooperation to promote stability and security in the Asia Pacific region.
7. Mexico was also invited to table a special report on the two meetings they hosted in 2002, the Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) (Annex 3A) meeting and the informal APPF Meeting (Annex 3B) prior to APEC. The report (in the form of a power-point presentation) highlighted the issues of common concern discussed and the agreements reached.
8. The 11th APPF Annual Meeting continued to voice the concerns raised in Honolulu in 2002 on four main topics:
a) Politics and Security
These included the Denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, Abduction (Annex 4), Terrorism, the Middle East Peace Processes and how it impinged on Israel, Palestine and Iraq.
b) Economy and Investment
The matters highlighted were WTO issues such as co-operation for the New Round and Agricultural Subsidy, Reinforcement of Bilateral and Regional Economic Partnerships, Sustainable Development, and Economy & Trade.
c) Co-operation on Transnational Issues
The highlights were People Smuggling and Trafficking in Persons, Narcotics, Environment, Infectious Diseases and Combating Corruption.
d) Asia Pacific Co-operation
The need to strengthen the APPF so that it can continue to play an effective and meaningful role In the Asia-Pacific Region received the attention of the Annual Meeting. H.E President Yasuhiro Nakasone presented a comprehensive paper prepared by Chairman of the Executive Committee in cooperation with the East-West Center and the United States of America as the previous host country (Annex 5A) on his proposals for a strong APPF. Mexico supplemented with its input (Annex 5B). The meeting agreed to study the proposals and thanked H.E. President Nakasone and Mexico for their contributions. A final decision on the proposals incorporating members’ views will be made by the Executive Committee in six to eight months time.
e) Other Issues
Besides the main matters, other new issues were also discussed. This included New and Restored Democracies, Information & Communication Technology (ICT) and Promotion of Education.
9. Annual Meeting adopted the following 14 resolutions
10. Executive Committee Membership: The following countries replaced the three which had completed their two-year term on the Executive Committee:
a. South East Asia : Malaysia replaced Lao People’s Democratic Republic
b. Oceania : New Zealand replaced Micronesia
c. The Americas : Republic of Chile replaced Mexico
11. 2004 Host:
The Annual Meeting unanimously approved the Executive Committee’s recommendation on the appointment of the People’s Republic of China as the host for the Twelfth Annual Meeting of APPF in January, 2004 at a venue to be announced later.
12. The Reports of the APPF Technological Working Groups are included as Annex 6.
The meeting expressed its sincere gratitude to H.E Hon Yasuhiro Nakasone, President of APPF for his guidance; H.E Hon. Tan Sri Dato’ Michael Chen Wing Sum, President of the Malaysian Senate for his exemplary chairmanship of the 11th Annual Meeting; Hon. Datuk Nor Azah Awin for assisting in guiding the proceedings; host country, Malaysia for providing the excellent facilities and hospitality; the Secretariat for their excellent care for the welfare and comfort of all the participants and accompanying persons and all others who had helped in one way or another to ensure the success of the Annual Meeting.