19th Annual Meeting of the Asia Pacific Parliamentary Forum
23-27 January 2011
Resolution on Strengthening Parliamentary Efforts to Accelerate the Achievement of the Millennium Development Goals
(Sponsored by Indonesia and Vietnam)
THE NINETEENTH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE ASIA-PACIFIC PARLIAMENTARY FORUM:
Acknowledging that the Millennium Development Goals is a global commitment adopted by the world leaders at the UN Millennium Summit in 2000 with targets and indicators to be achieved by 2015;
Bearing in mind the positive outcomes in implementing MDGs, which have contributed to improving the life of hundreds of millions of people, including those in the poorest nations, and the need to accelerate the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, with new and stronger measures;
Stressing that peace and stability are the prerequisite condition for development, and that countries need to devise international and national plans to maintain achievements and meet all MDGs, striving for higher goals;
Referring that parliament has a vital role to accelerate the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals through their essential functions in budgeting, legislating, and monitoring;
Recognizing that the Millennium Development Goals reports made by the United Nations and other organizations as an effective ways to measure the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals in Asia-Pacific;
Welcoming the Declaration which was agreed at the 18th APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting and the joint statement which was agreed at the 22nd APEC Ministerial Meeting in Japan in November 2010, particularly related to the Millennium Development Goals;
- Recommend the APPF Member Countries to take necessary actions to achieve the Millennium Development Goals by 2015.
- Affirm the importance of the essential functions of the Parliament in legislating, budgeting, and monitoring to support the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Recommend the APPF Member Parliaments to establish a committee/agent/task force/working group or other type of standing committee in their respective parliaments as a focal point in addressing the Millennium Development Goals issues.
- Support the APPF Member Governments’ efforts in enhancing the acceleration process to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
- Urge the Developed Countries in APPF to make concrete and consistent efforts to fulfill their commitments of giving the Official Development Assistance (ODA) targeted to developing countries and least developed countries as the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus on Financing for Development that was agreed in 2002 and contributing to concluding Doha negotiations and removing unfair measures in trade.
- Encourage the facilitation of developing countries’ efforts in making policies and raising management capacity.
- Request the APPF Member Countries to prioritize the accomplishment of the hardest targets of the Millennium Development Goals to maximize the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Call for the APPF Member Countries to advance partnership with non-governmental organizations focusing on the achievement of Millennium Development Goals and to promote private-public partnership through regional and global cooperation forums to meet the Millennium Development Goals.